Posted May 12, 2018 03:33:11 The latest Food Safety Alert (FSAs) released on Monday revealed the number of food recalls has reached 1,084,943 since November 1.
This is up slightly from 1,088,091 in the same period last year, which was also a record.
The Food Safety Advisory Council (FSAC) said more than half of the cases were due to a “minor” food-borne illness.
While most of the reported cases were traced to one or two ingredients, the number has increased as some products have been linked to more serious health risks.
“We’ve been in this situation before, we’re not going to let this happen again,” FSA Chief Executive Greg Thompson said.
“Our focus is on keeping people healthy.”
In addition to food safety, we’ve been working hard to help Australians get back to work.
“The number of FSAs increased by 8.3 per cent from a year ago.
It is the second consecutive year of a significant increase.
The number increased by 12.1 per cent last year.
The council has been working on a series of recommendations for the Government.
The new FSA includes the following: